We Are Usually Asked About….
How do I join?
We are currently making changes to our membership process. For the time being, send an email if interested at email@example.com.
I am a student, should I do a psychiatric fellowship?
- Psychiatric fellowships are optional, however they are an ideal training ground when new to psychiatric practice.
I have been practicing in a different field and want to transition to psychiatry, how do I do this?
- One of the ideal features of practicing as a PA is the ability to switch specialties. There are many ways to go about transitioning. Some PAs will go back and do a psychiatric fellowship. Another option is finding a practice that provides mentorship and training. This is not always a structured process.
My state is prohibiting my practice, who can help?
- The APAP is working with AAPA to increase advocacy efforts among all states and the federal level to eliminate policy barriers for PA practice in mental health. Unfortunately, many restrictions still exists and varies from state to state. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to explain your problem and someone will get back to you.
Can PA’s practice psychotherapy?
- Yes, PA’s along with NP, MDs may practice psychotherapy in tandem with medication management and bill add-on codes. PAs lacking degrees such as psychology, marriage and family counseling and/or social work will need to obtain additional training via CME and ideally obtain a CAQ from the NCCPA.
How do I study for a Psychiatric CAQ?
- Review the NCCPA blueprint
- Take a psychiatric specific NCCPA practice exam
- Utilize board review books for psych NP and Psychiatrists
Is there an annual APAP conference?
- We currently partner with the Psych Congress for our annual CME event. Their main conference is every year in October, next being in San Diego, October 3-6 2019. They also hold smaller conferences throughout the year known as Elevate which are a wonderful source of psychiatric specific CME. Contact us via email@example.com for information on discounts for APAP members!
Do I need to be an AAPA member to join APAP?
- While we do encourage partnering with our associate AAPA, however it is not a requirement for APAP membership.